Coolseal is the leading alternative to traditional polystyrene fish packaging boxes for the fishing and seafood industries. With polystyrene historically being the go-to material used to transport fish, we have seen a shift over the last few years to more sustainable and more economical packaging alternatives.
The main purpose of packaging that is used to transport fish and seafood is to keep the product fresh and safe; with insulation and durability being of the utmost importance. Polystyrene has historically been the go-to material for fish and seafood packaging boxes, but in a climate where sustainability is fast becoming as much a purchasing factor as performance and costs, Coolseal is giving polystyrene a run for its money.
When compared to standard polystyrene fish packaging boxes, what are the benefits of using Coolseal instead?
- Coolseal seafood packaging boxes are made from fluted polypropylene, with unique sealed edge technology. The sealed edge not only provides increased strength and insulation, but is more hygienic and helps prevent contamination. One of the main reasons EPS is preferred by the fishing industry is the insulation properties it provides. However, when used correctly within the cold chain, Coolseal matches insultation performance and is by no means inferior to EPS.
- Another benefit of polypropylene is its sustainability credentials – a 100% recyclable material, which does not require specialist recycling, like polystyrene. Sustainability is now a key factor when it comes to packaging decisions, yet the fishing industry trail behind here. With polystyrene single use items now banned in many countries, and polystyrene also being a huge source of marine pollution, is it a matter of time before a more widespread ban on the material comes into place? Sustainability is a factor that isn’t going to go away, and one that should be key in making packaging decisions.
- Another huge factor when transporting any fish or seafood products is cost. Polystyrene has traditionally been a low-cost material, and when combined with its insulation properties, it has always been the industry’s go to for fish packaging boxes. The last few years, however, with huge shifts in raw material and energy costs, polystyrene no longer has the monopoly on being the lowest cost material.
- When looking at cost, Coolseal allows for greater cost saving than just the price per box too. The design of Coolseal seafood boxes, means you can ship 30% more product on a pallet when compared to polystyrene boxes – equating to a huge transport cost (and CO2) saving annually.
- The unique design of Coolseal, means the boxes are supplied on a pallet flat packed, allowing you to store up to 80% more product than you could with polystyrene. A huge impact on production and storage within your business.
Coolseal fish packaging boxes have a whole range of benefits to bring to the fishing industry, and we have started to see a huge change in companies looking for an alternative to polystyrene.
We’d love to help more companies make the move away from polystyrene, so speak to us today about making the move to a more sustainable and cost-effective fish packaging box. Or alternatively, order a free sample here to see the boxes for yourself.